Monday, July 28, 2008

Apartment 8-C

When I came home on Friday afternoon, my doorman was elated to see me! He had found a room available in the building, so I would not have to move far. His excitement was contagious and I was thrilled to find another room for rent in the same building..

We took the elevator upstairs and he made the introduction. An elderly woman opened the door and graciously invited me into her home. As I stepped inside, I quickly noted how dark her apartment was, compared to my own. There were additional walls build to section off rooms and the entry way did not offer any natural light. Instead there were candle sticks around the room, with a fireplace in one corner. Then, in the other corner, was a life-sized statue of a person. I looked away as she lead me down the hall to show me the room for rent.

The room was a nice size. A little smaller than my own - but it had a private bathroom with two closets. I looked around and she began to explain that the room is rented as if it were a studio. She confirmed that I would not have access to the rest of the apartment - I would be renting the room, and that was it. The current tenant kept a small fridge in the corner, with a hot plate for making soup or heating food. This made me hesitate a little bit, but I told her I would consider it and agreed to come back on Sunday afternoon...

As I walked back to my own apartment I was a little un-easy with the darkness of her apartment. Although she had been very friendly and told stories of being a writer and having spent time with "Bobby" De Niro...she led a charmed life. And she was wearing spectacles with hot-pink bifocal lenses, to boot...

No comments: